Strong abs are the cornerstone of a well-rounded fitness routine. Not only do they help to improve your posture and alleviate back pain, but they also make everyday activities like carrying groceries or climbing stairs feel easier. And while there’s no magic exercise that will give you a six-pack overnight, there are certain moves that can help you achieve a strong, toned stomach. Here are five of the best ab exercises for women to incorporate into your workout routine today!
5 Ab Exercises for Women that Actually Work
Anyone who has ever attempted to get six-pack abs knows that it is no easy feat. In addition to eating a healthy diet and getting regular exercise, you need to focus on working the right muscles. The following five ab exercises for women are designed to target the abdominal muscles and help you achieve the toned stomach you desire.
Crunches are a classic ab exercise, but they aren’t the most enjoyable on their own. To spice it up a bit, try the Runner’s Crunch.
- Starting Position: Lie on your back with your legs straight and arms straight above your head. Lift your legs and arms 1 foot off of the ground.
- Movement: In one motion, bring your arms over your head so they are in line with your shoulders. At the same time, engage your core to do a crunch while you bring one knee to your chest, keeping the other leg straight and elevated. Extend back to the starting position before doing the movement again, this time bending the other leg as you move into the crunch position.
Do 10 repetitions on each side!
Mountain Climbers with Knee Crosses
Mountain Climbers with Knee Crosses are among the best ab exercises for women because they burn fat while building lower ab muscles. This is essential to get the sculpted, toned stomach you’re going for.
- Starting Position: Start in a straight-arm plank position with your wrists over your shoulders.
- Movement: Alternate legs, driving your knee straight to your chest with each movement. Do four regular Mountain Climbers (two on each side). Then, in a similar movement, drive your knee to your chest, this time crossing your body, so your right knee moves toward your left armpit and vice versa. Do four Knee Crosses (two on each side).
Do this combination 10 times in a row!
Single-Leg Crunch to Toe Touch
Another effective ab exercise that utilizes the crunch as its foundation is the Single-Leg Crunch to Toe Touch.
- Starting Position: Lie on your back with your arms straight above your head, one knee bent at 45-degrees with your foot planted on the floor and the other leg straight.
- Movement: In one motion, bring your arms over your head so they are in line with your shoulders. At the same time, engage your core to do a crunch while you bend your straight leg into your chest. Relax and extend your arms and leg to the starting position. Then do another crunch motion while keeping your leg straight and lifting it so your toes point toward the ceiling. During this exercise, your supporting leg stays bent at a 45-degree angle with your foot planted firmly on the floor.
Do 10 movements on each side–one crunch and one toe touch count as a single movement.
Reverse Sit-Up to Leg Lower
Another great ab exercise for women that targets your lower abs is the Reverse Sit-Up to Leg Lower.
- Starting Position: Lie on your back and place your hands under your butt. Extend your legs straight into the air over your hips.
- Movement: Engage your lower abs to lift your butt off the ground. Then slowly roll down and lower your legs as far as possible with your lower back still touching the ground. Use your arms as needed to extend back into the reverse sit-up, lifting your butt off the ground to repeat the motion.
Do 10 repetitions of this exercise!
Side Plank Dips
Side Planks Dips are an excellent way to work your oblique muscles and achieve a toned stomach.
- Starting Position: Lie on your side and stagger or stack your feet, balancing yourself on your forearm. Push up into a side plank position.
- Movement: Raise your free arm to the ceiling, then scoop it under your chest as you twist your entire body while lifting up on your oblique muscles. Twist once, then return to a side plank before repeating the motion.
Do 10 repetitions on each side!
How Do You Get a Toned Stomach?
Strengthening and sculpting your core muscles–which includes your lower back and abdomen–starts with incorporating ab exercises for women into your workout routine. However, it doesn’t stop there. What you put into your stomach plays a significant role in how your stomach looks. Building your core starts on the exercise mat and finishes in the kitchen.
If you want to tone your abs fast, it’ll take a combination of being intentional with the foods you eat, consistently incorporating ab exercises into your fitness routine, and focusing on full-body fitness, including cardio activities. The best, easiest, and most fun way to do all that is by joining the ALFitCrew!
ALFitCrew Workouts Help You Sculpt a Strong, Toned Stomach
If you’re looking to strengthen your core without spending hours in the gym or cutting all of your favorite foods out of your diet, you’re in the right place. I help busy women transform their minds and bodies to feel healthy, strong, and confident in their skin. Whether you’re looking to tone up, slim down, or just feel better, I can help! Join the ALFitCrew and receive new upper and lower body workouts each week with video examples, along with 4 total body HIIT workouts LIVE each month. You also get access to me as your personal trainer to customize your workouts and help you meet and exceed your fitness goals. Learn more and join us today!